Icynene spray foam was installed Monday at our AAC block project . It took about 5 hours to do the roof deck and gable ends. This is a sealed attic, eliminating the need to insulate at the ceiling joists. Even the upper chord of the roof trusses were covered, minimizing heat transference through the wood. The attic will not go through temperature extremes, subsequently giving added life to the HVAC equipment. Everything was sealed perfectly.
We gave the house an airing for the next two days. It needed it on account of the outgassing from the spray foam. The weather was dry and we vented it well. The drywall delivery came Wednesday afternoon. The next morning a crew of drywall hangers arrived and by 5:30 p.m. everything was up. We put in special ½” thick ceiling boards, manufactured to span the 24” centers of the joists. The crew did a great job!
Another crew came in Friday morning to cleanup and start the taping/ mud. We aren't doing any steel outside corners. It’s all bullnose returns at the doors and windows. It’s secured with some nails, but mainly a strong adhesive especially manufactured for the plastic bullnoses. This costs a little more than the typical steel 90 degree corners, but there will be considerable savings because the doors and windows will not be cased in wood trim. This produces the feel of a southwestern home. Initially we thought about applying plaster to the AAC block walls, but decided to stay with drywall because of costs. We went through 20 large tubes of adhesive applied to the back of the boards that were hung on the block walls. Since AAC block is lightweight, it can receive the drywall screw. That combined with securing at the top & bottom plates, the door and window bucks (2x8 pressure-treated lumber), and the adhesive, we found that all the drywall was successfully adhered the next day.Finishing the drywall will take about 4 days. We’ve been protecting the floor with sheet plastic. During the past week the well was installed. We’re getting 16 gal/min and we only went down 260’. On Friday, we trenched the house to put in the water line and pump wiring. Soon, we will be trimming out the porch posts & ceilings, then moving on to stucco! In the interior we’re starting the cabinetry and tile! For more pictures of this project click here! To read more about this project click here!